Improving engine control limitations to work optimally with HVO-type renewable diesel poses unexploited potential
Fuel consumption as well as carbon dioxide and other regulated emissions can be reduced by modifying and enhancing engine control constraints to work optimally with pure HVO-type (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) renewable diesel, such as Neste MY Renewable Diesel, and this offers untapped possibility.
One of the world's leading engineering companies specializing in engine development, FEV recently conducted a study. The result was that depending on the test cycle, optimizing engine control parameters for pure Neste MY Renewable Diesel can result in the following advantages:
- As much as nearly 8.5% improvements in engine efficiency ratio
- Almost 4% decreased fuel consumption (in liters)
- Up to nearly 70% reduced hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions
- Up to almost 50% reduced particulate matter (PM) emissions
- Up to around 30% ability to reduce nitrogen oxides (NOx)
The improvements may not all be achieved simultaneously and the results are dependent of the chosen engine. Neste MY Renewable Diesel is a paraffinic fuel fulfilling EN 15940 standard specifications and the listed figures only apply to this. Other HVO-type renewable diesels could produce similar figures but cannot be generalized to conventional biodiesels.
Markku Honkanen, Head of Technical Services at Neste says, "This study by a leading expert body showed that optimizing an engine for Neste My Renewable Diesel offers benefits, such as potential to reduce fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions. With the right calibration, it may additionally help reduce exhaust fuel emissions. Engine optimization for HVO-type low-carbon fuels provides engine manufacturers an additional tool to improve efficiency and realize tailpipe emission compliance under real driving conditions, such as required in the Euro 6 standard valid in Europe." PWKD19052017
Latest from PWKD
- Dover Appoints Jeroen de Gruijter As New Managing Director
- Malaysia: 7-Eleven Expansion In Mall Locations
- Chile: Condorito Promotion Across Copec Fuel Retail Network
- USA: Indian Wells Valley Airport District & EV Connect EV Charging Partnership
- South Africa: Engen’s “Auto Gardens” Initiative Kicks Off